Sunday, September 18, 2005

Whitworth Spotlight: Half Past Nine and The Blood Drive

Half-Past 9: Some people complain that “there’s nothing to do in Spokane.”

What a silly complaint! There’s lots of things to do in Spokane. You’ve got trails to run on… there’s the garbage-eating goat downtown you can feed… there’s a Museum of Arts and Culture if your into that Arts and Culture… and… uh… the garbage-eating goat thing again?

Anyway, even if there’s not a lot to do in Spokane, Whitworth is determined to bring exciting events to you. Such as Half Past 9.

Half-Past Nine is held on Thursdays in the Café. At 9:30, oddly enough.
During this event, outside performers will bless Whitworth with their unique brand of entertainment. Sometimes they might even use naughty words. That’s the kind of crazy risk that Whitworth College is willing to take.

The Half-Past Niner that will be performing this Thursday will be Kevin Hurley. He’s a Hypnotist, a Comedian, and a Magician.
So basically, he’ll make you think you’re a Chicken, tell a joke about you crossing the road, and then cut you in half with a hacksaw. Which brings us to the next topic:

The Blood Drive:
I’m sure you’re all on pins and needles, waiting to hear about this event. For some, it’s a hard sell, a real drain, but if you stick with it and don’t draw it out, if you step up to the plate; let your worries drip away. The Blood Drive. Good to the last drop.

Myself, I haven’t ever donated blood. It’s a nice idea, but I’ve never gotten around to it. I was always sick, or my arm was just too skinny for the width of the needle, or I didn’t really think people would want my blood– I mean, it hasn’t done me much good- or I was afraid that I would faint and pee my pants and spend the rest of the day smelling like Baldwin-Jenkins hall.

But I’ll make you a deal. If you will, I will. Deal? September 22nd! 11:30! By the Flagpole! Be there!

Or are you… chicken? Bwack Bwack Bwack!